| ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
| Salient features:
• Started in 2008
• Adequately experienced, trained faculty as per MCI norms
| Services provided:
• Provides teaching and training for MBBS (UG), CRRI, MD (PG), Paramedicals: Nursing, Physiotherapy, MSc, Allied Health Sciences.
• Field practice area Kuthambakkam and Thirumazhisai with a full fledged center for providing teaching and training and also for providing services to the community including referrals
• Coordination and cooperation with local health agencies through a system of CHC, PHC and HSC in the implementation of national health programme in the community
• Periodical and regular Health education and communication activities by CRRIs in the community.
• Community health survey, screening and providing preventive & promotive services for special target groups like pregnant and lactating mothers, under 5 children, adolescent girls and geriatric age group, school children.
• Encouraging and facilitating UGs and PGs in organizing and conducting research studies in the community by way of providing formal and informal training.
| Infrastructure/facilities available in the department:
• Lecture hall/ Demonstration rooms with (Smart boards) all visual and communication facilities for teaching and training.
• Well furnished Museum with all materials like models, specimens, charts, maps etc
• UG and PG research laboratory with all basic infrastructure facilities for carrying out basic community oriented research.
• Well equipped departmental library with all latest books and journals.
• Co-ordination and co-operation with allied specialties especially Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, General Medicine, Microbiology, Pathology etc.
| Courses offered by the department:
MBBS, CRRI training, MD, Training in Community Medicine subject for the Undergraduate and Postgraduate students of Nursing and Physiotherapy.
| Teaching learning methods adopted by department:
• MBBS: Small group teaching: (MILA), Integrated teaching, Concept based learning, Learning by doing, Student seminar, Lectures, Student research projects, Web based learning, Community based learning, Inter professional learning, Self learning, Visits to important public health institutions, Case presentations, Development of Health education materials, Tutorials, Experiments and Demonstration
• MD: Journal club, Seminars, Teaching pedagogy, Bed side learning for clinical methods, Portfolios, Community based learning, Self reflection
| Best practices of department:
1. Compulsory Health Education Activities for CRRIs
2. Compulsory research project for VI semester MBBS students.
| RESEARCH FOCUS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
THRUST AREA: Public health: water supply, sanitation, Maternal and child health: breast feeding, mal nutrition, Adolescent health: menstrual hygiene, School health: refractory errors, dental hygiene.
Completed projects: 97 (student + faculty) research projects (3 ICMR-STS projects).
Ongoing projects: 50 (student + faculty) research projects.
PUBLICATIONS: Till date 48 publications have been made by the faculty of the department. Faculty also take active part in National professional conferences, workshops etc both as delegates and as resource persons. Scopus: 19, PubMed: 21, Google Scholar: 19